My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Righting my Sinking Ship (again)

I am not doing well in my microstakes No Limit Holdem Challenge. I have dropped over 6 buy-ins the last several days. The problems are mostly with me in that I am playing too many hands, calling when I should be folding and not getting a whole lot of good cards which tends to lead to my playing less than ideal cards, i.e. Q/10, K/J, K/10 etc.

The last two times I played I actually started off doing quite well and was up a couple of buy-ins when the wheels came off. I know what I need to do. Slow down and stop playing so many hands. Only play quality hands and raise them up preflop when I do play.

I am going to start to right my sinking ship the next time I play. My mantra will be, "Only Quality Hands! Raise Preflop!!" Those two things should help to turn my losing streak into a winning streak.
_____________________
Has anyone had the Guinness Draught Bottle? It is on sale at our local supermarket and I told my wife I would get a six-pack as a Superbowl treat. I guess you are suppose to drink it from the bottles as there is a widget in there that helps to keep the Guinness creamy and 'natural'. Everything I read says you won't get the good odor of Guinness but it is suppose to taste good.

Helium Beer Review has the following to say about the bottle:


In 1999, Guinness introduced its Draught Bottles. The idea was to capitalize on the success of its Draught Cans and adapt it to create a Guinness that can be consumed directly from the bottle. Its special "Rocket Widget" is designed to charge the beer with nitrogen and carbon dioxide every time you move the bottle to your mouth, creating the smooth and creamy flavor one gets from the tap or a Guinness Draught Can. That's the idea. In practice, however, in my experience, the Draught Bottle tastes nothing like Guinness from the tap or can. There is no true sense of the creamy essence that is Guinness, and the beer has a bitter taste that reminds me of the Extra Stout and lacks the full-body taste that you expect from a Guinness Draught.


Dr. Beer Love had an entire write up about Guinness Draught and did a taste comparison of the can vs. the bottle. It is quite extensive so take a look at it and see what you think. He drank the Guinness Draught from a glass and said the better taste was at a warmer temperature even though the bottle says to drink it super cold.

The Beer Belly did a comparison of Guinness on tap, in a can and in the bottle and concluded with:

Does the bar drawn pint from a tap win hands down? I don't think so. I actually preferred the bottle over the true draught in this taste test.

Should I get the Guinness Draught Bottle for watching the Superbowl or should I opt for something else like Newcastle Brown Ale or Bells Oberon??

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I've never bought a Guinness out of a bottle or can. The only place I've had Guinness was from the tap at a bar (the best way to enjoy it IMHO). But I'd be interested in trying that. That's what so fun about trying new stuff - haven't had one? Then try one! I like Guinness - especially as a Black & Tan too.

For the superbowl, if you're not a wheat beer person, I'd not suggest the Bells Oberon. Wheat is more of a summer seasonal drink. They only make this March-October so if you have one it is probably been sitting around for many months. I'd suggest a Porter instead. I like Newcastle Brown. I've had them here in Colorado before. Been a few years since I've had one -but it is tasty.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Hey check out this web site I just found today. It is another beer blog and they review the Guinness Draught Bottle you were wondering about. lagerheads.blogspot.com

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online