My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

No Poker Today

I wasn't able to fire up any tables to play some No Limit Holdem today. It probably is for the better as I had played for at least a week straight and more than likely needed a break from the game. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday I can fire up a couple of tables and try to relieve the donkeys of some of their ill gotten gains. I would play every day if I could so a forced break now and then is probably beneficial for me. I will be all fired up when next I play again.
_____________________________
My beer for today was Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale brewed by the Atlantic Brewing Company's Estage Brewing. They describe their Blueberry Ale as:
A light fruit ale, made with Maine wild blueberries. As opposed to many of the sweeter fruit beers on the market, our addition of fresh Maine wild blueberries in this light ale yields a subtle blueberry aroma, without the sweet aftertaste.

A mixture of the following Mutton malts, pale, crystal, and Munich, are combined with wheat to give this ale its lighter body, and we only use minimal amounts of Target and Willamette hops.

ABV 5.2%

I was hesitant to drink this beer at first because I am not all that much into fruity beers and the blueberry is one of the lesser fruits I would try (although blueberry pie is in my top 3 favorite pies). I decided to give this ale a try and I was very, very surprised at how much I liked it and how good it tasted. I could not smell or taste the blueberrys at all in this brew and that is probably why I really liked it. I think you could almost get them for false advertisement as, in my opinion, the blueberry smell/taste/presence is virtually nonexistant. I think I just liked it because it was a nice smooth strong tasting ale and had a Killian's red color to it.

The Beer Advocate rates this beer a B and some of the comments are about the lack of blueberry taste or smell. This reviews summed up my feelings best:

But the taste is amazing. Unlike most blueberry beers, this beer is more subtle in the taste of blueberries, it isn't overpowering but mixes just the right amount of sweetness. It's hard to compete with the original blueberry beer in my book. - Taelec

I would recommend this beer to anyone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I'm still reluctant to try any more fruit beers. I have had a couple of fruit beers that I have liked.

1. Frambozen - New Belgium Brewery. It's one of their seasonal beers that come out during the Chistmas time. It has a raspberry flavor to the dark chocolate malts in it.

2. Eric's Sour Peach Ale - also from New Belgium. I've recently got turned onto sour ales. It's definitely on the sour side but a good brew. Part of their Lips of Faith beer series that their employees come up with.

Stay away from Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic. That stuff had a nasty aftertaste and I could not finish it.

Only way I'll try another fruit beer is if someone offers me one, but otherwise, I'll stick to my non-fruit craft beers.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online