My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Poker and Beer

I only played a little bit today but I really liked what happened. I have been reading Grinder for a long time now and lately he has been talking about how to beat the turbo SitNGos. I thought I would give it a try today to see how I liked it and how I would do. I played 3 low buy-inTurbo SitnGos on Full Tilt Poker and managed to win one. I finished out of the money at 5th and 6th in the other two but still made money because of my win.

I have rarely played Turbo SitNGos but the structure on Full Tilt is such that you might as well play the turbos as the the regular SitNGos act almost like a turbo. I tried to do what Grinder said about being patient and letting the other knock themselves out and, for the most part, it worked pretty good. On one SitNGo I lost because of my lower kicker. I had K/9 and the villain had K/J and IGHN. That one was so-so in that I was low on money and had to make a move but the one that I really sucked out on was when I went all in with pocket 6s and lost to A/K when two Kings came on the flop. That was just a totally stupid play be me as I didn't have to bet, let alone go all in. I really learned from that game and I think it paid off because I won the next one I played.

Patience, patience, patience! That is the key and I am going to try again tomorrow to see if I can improve on today's results.
________________________________
In an earlier post I mentioned that I had some Moose Drool when I was in Wyoming with my youngest Wolverine. Moose Drool is brewed by big Sky Brewing Company of Missoula, Montana. They describe their beer as:

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops. It has an original gravity of 13 degrees Plato, and is 4.2% alcohol by weight, 5.3% by volume.

It is probably the maltiest beer I have had and the first drink really threw me off. My first thought was, "I don't think I like this." Now what the hell was I suppose to do as I had the better part of six beers left in the six pack I had just bought. So I took another drink and then another and now I am thinking, "This is pretty good."

I started to really enjoy this beer. I liked that the taste was different than any of the beers I had drank so far and I really liked how smooth it was and the feel of the beer in your mouth. The biggest selling point was how smooth it was and there was no lingering aftertaste. I finished the six pack before I left Wyoming.

Moose Drool gets mixed reviews from the different sites that review and rate beer. Rate Beer gives it an overall 81% and SevenPack.net gives it another average rating but concludes with, "It’s truly a tasty beer in the sense of a good session brown ale that, while it won’t blow your mind, will make a great daily drinker and has a fun name."
Finally, the Beer Advocate gives it a solid "B" and their words pretty much sum up my feelings for this beer.

An extremely drinkable beer, I wouldn't mind having an exclusive night with this. The alcohol content might be a tad too high to properly label this as a "session" beer, but, given the opportunity, I would not turn down a night of Moose Drool with friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I've found that when I taste beer and try to give it a rating that I end up going back and changing my rating after the 2nd or 3rd beer. You really need to give a new beer a decent chance to "sink in" per se. I've tried other beers before and it took me a 2nd bottle to really get the true nature of a brew. It's too bad that our very first impressions of a beer tend to stick with us for a while. If the taste isn't what you were expecting then you tend to give it a lower rating initially. Love the name of that beer. I will have to look for that here in northern Colorado.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online