My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Playing Short Stacks in No Limit Holdem

I mentioned in my earlier post that I am going to attempt to transition from Limit Holdem to No Limit Holdem. I'll be playing the microstakes (.05/.10) to begin with and I am going to buy in with the minimum amount. I am intentionally playing shortstacked for several reasons.

1. I don't have the bankroll to play Big Stack Poker. I can't afford to play with over 10% of my Bankroll when I am just beginning. The variance alone would kill me, let alone the bad decisions I will invariably be making from time to time.

2. Short stacks may help reduce the number of tough decisions that I'll be faced with.
3. Losing a shortstack will be easier emotionally for me as opposed to losing a Big Stack and seeing my bankroll be in jeopardy.
So far I have a played a very limited amount of hands but have been quite happy with how things have gone. I have been sucked out on to lose some nice pots and I have been the suckee where I have hit the miracle river card to take down a big pot. I am going to stick with this through the month of November and then reevalutate how it is working and if my game is improving at all.

2 Comments:

Blogger surflexus said...

Appreciate the comment. Unfortunately it's just a post for a contest Al is having. Guess I should put a disclaimer up..lol. :)

12:58 AM  
Blogger Rod said...

Short stacks.

Playing short stack will really help the learning process. I know that with a big stack I tend to tilt like I have never tilted before.

Keep us abreast on how it is going. I might be following you. I know that I have won a LOT of money playing NL cash games . . . . and then lost it all with bone head blunders!

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online