My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

18 Year Old Prima Donnas

Today is the big day for College Football as it is National Signing Day for Freshman recruits. This has become such a media event as the 18 year old prima donnas have to call a press conference to announce their decision. And this year, the biggest prima donna of them all, Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, has postponed his decision.

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about this day because my Michigan Wolverines are in the thick of things this hear with their recruiting class and they are aggressively persuing Pryor. It looks like a very good recruiting class for the Wolverines and can get even better if they land Pryor.

The media circus starts when grown men make it their livelyhood to rate the different players throughout the country and then rate the colleges on the selection of players they obtained. There are over 1000 high schools in the United States that play high school football. That would mean there are over 1000 quarterbacks, 2000 running backs, 5000 offensive linemen that suit up every Friday night. Can you honestly tell me that you can accurately rate the top ten quarterbacks or top ten running backs? Can you honestly say that the offensive lineman from Traverse City, Michigan isn't as good as the offensive lineman from Odessa, Texas? What if one of those linemen was blocking for the sophomore running backs that were inexpereinced in hitting the holes or what if that lineman was an excellent run blocker on a team that threw the ball 70% of the time. How can you compare the two?

You can compare them as to size, 40 yard dash speed, amount of weights they can lift but that only tells you so much about them. You don't know if that Odessa player was up at 5AM every day to milk the cows and when it came time to play on Friday night, frankly, he was just tired and worn out from a full week of work and football practice. What if he and the quarterback were in love with the same girl and, all of a sudden, he wasn't able to block that linebacker coming on a blitz.

You get my drift. There are too many players with too many circumstances happening in their lives to accurately rate them and to say one is better than another. Mike Hart wasn't heavily recruited by anyone but his heart and determination made him one of the best running backs in the nation.

Ask me 3 years from now how this freshman class compares to others or how it rates not that they are in their Redshirt Sophomore year of football.
___________________________________
I was able to win a few dollars playing poker today. Believe it or not my pocket Kings held up against pocket jacks to help me double up. The funny thing is a Queen came on the turn and I had to laugh because that is exactly the card that cracked my Kings the last two times. I was able to come through today by waiting for quality hands to make my move with and it paid off finally when the best hand preflop held up.

The thing I am proudest of is that I never went on tilt after the bad beats I experienced the last few days. It would have been so easy to or to type personal attacks on the villain that beat me in the chat box. Instead I just took a deep breath and tried to continue strong play and win that money back. The only thing that mildly upsets me is when the person that beats me leaves the game shortly after so I am unable to win my money back from them. I consider the money they won from me as a loan and I want my chance to get it back plus more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online