My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Winning Streak Back and Golf Update


Just like the Michigan Wolverines Football team of 2005, I had a minor set back yesterday in my Limit Poker Challenge, garnering my first loss after 8 straight winning days. Well, today I was back on track and closed out up $12.65 in starting a fresh new winning streak. The difference between today and yesterday was a more passive table that I was able to control to some extent and better cards, which never hurts. I was able to win with everything from pocket Jacks to a small straight, 4 to 8, in the Big Blind. I was up early and after only a half dozen hands or so had doubled my buy in plus. Then I took it on the chin with a couple of hands but was able to rally and cash out up $12.65.

I jumped on Poker Stars .25/.50 Limit game and cashed out another profit of $7 dollars and after my Limit Challenge was over I moved down to the .25/.50 Limit on Titan and cashed out another profit of about $7. All in all a very successful day.

My Titan points aren’t growing in leaps and bounds but they are growing and since I was able to get back on track with a win today I guess I will stay at Titan for a while longer and see if I can’t garner some more points as well as continue my winning streak.

Golf Update
I haven’t had a golf post in a while so I guess I should let everyone know that my game is still going quite well but I am unable to lower my scores to the level I was hoping for. I shot an 84 on Wednesday with just pars and bogeys, no doubles or birdies. I did have a couple of realistic birdie putts for birdie but both broke off right at the end leaving a tap in par. I’m not hitting my mid-irons real crisp and that is leading to shots that are falling short of the green and I have to chip on and make the putt for par. I was able to drop a couple but I also doffed a chip and missed a 4 footer for par that cost me a couple of strokes. I was really hoping to shoot consistently in the low 80’s, i.e. 81-83 but so far 84 through 88 has been the norm. My handicap stands at 10.94 for the year which isn’t too bad but it is going to be hard to get it into single digits by the end of unless I really shoot some nice scores.

My area had the only Professional Golf Tour stop in Michigan, The Buick Open. Tiger Woods claimed this tournament for a second time with a score of 24 below par. Four rounds of 66 helped him garner his 50th win on tour. You know Buick is loving it when the golfer they sponsor wins their tournament. It is an advertiser’s dream with the name recognition of Buick and Tiger together. They talked about Ford getting a lot of air time when Phil Mickleson won the Masters wearing his Ford Polo Shirt. But GM one upped Ford with its sponsorship of Tiger because of the air time he gets even when he is not in contention.

I think living in Michigan gives me the best of both worlds when it comes to golf and poker. Michigan summers are usually awesome and I play golf 3 to 4 times a week. By the end of fall I am about golfed out and ready for a break from the game. That is when the winter winds hit and I can sit inside my cozy den and play poker until spring comes, whereupon I will be ready to pick up the golf clubs again. I can’t think of a nicer scenario for being able to split my two greatest passions evenly throughout the year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Congrats on the win streak, WF! =)

Here's a putting drill if you have the time and space. It usually requires that you have at least half of the putting green to yourself.

Count the number of holes in the putting green and pull out that number of golf balls. Randomly toss the golf balls onto the putting green. Approach the closest ball and then putt to the farthest hole from where you're standing. When you've putted the ball into the hole, go to the next closest ball. Rinse and repeat. If you want to make it ultra tricky, include shooting for holes that have other holes in the way.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I was born and raised in Michigan and have been to a couple of UofM games myself. I miss the old days of spending summers on an inland lake at my parent's cottage, but I don't miss the damn winter cold. Now I live in the heat (but its a dry heat) of Colorado and the winters are a lot milder (if you don't go up in the mountains that is). But ya, Michigan is a nice place to live.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man

You have such a good life !! lol. Golf 3 - 4 times a week and then evenings of poker. I'm slightly envious.

Work on your short game if you want to get your handicap down. If you are missing greens with your mid irons, practise your chipping so you can get closer to the hole and 1 putt.

I dropped 3 strokes from 14 to 11 just by chipping in the back garden. I picked differing distances so I could get a better feel.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online