My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Poker Challenge Day 2

My Poker Challenge is going extremely well and this scares the hell out of me. I have been doing the challenge for two days and I have already achieved the amount needed to advance to the next level. Either I am one of the fastest learners of Limit Poker in the Free World or maybe I have been very lucky/fortunate the last two days. I am going to modify the challenge and remain at this level for at least a few more days and as long as a week. I will determine how I am doing and if it is time to move up.

Poker Challenge Day 2
Today didn’t start as well as yesterday. Ran trip tens into a set of queens and lost first hand I was dealt. The table I sat at today was a lot looser than yesterday with 3, 4, and 5 players each hand. I even raised on the blind with Pocket Jacks and every limper (4 of them) called and that left five of us to see the flop. Boy was I scared then. The flop was 2d,Qd,9d. myself and 3 others call. Turn is a beautiful Jd. I bet and get one caller. Now down to just two of us. The river is 5d to complete the flush on board. Villian bets, I call and Villain turns over Qs Qc for set of queens that beats my set of Jacks. However, the flush board beats us both and we end of splitting the pot. That is the type of luck I am having. Very, very good luck. In almost consecutive hands I received Ace/Queen, Ace/King, Six/Six and was able to win with all of them.

Here are my stats for the day. I saw too many flops (29%) and probably should have folded a few Small Blinds and at least one Big Blind. That would have put me closer to 22%.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 52 hands and saw flop:
- 5 out of 5 times while in big blind (100%)
- 6 out of 6 times while in small blind (100%)
- 5 out of 41 times in other positions (12%)
- a total of 16 out of 54 (29%)
Pots won at showdown - 4 of 8 (50%)
Pots won without showdown – 2
Win $14

I played for about one hour and quit again when I was starting to play to protect my winnings and not to win the hand. Hopefully I will overcome that with time and continue to play while I am hot.

I'll have a bigger write up and some hand historys tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Don't hold yourself back! The play is just as bad at the next level up as it is where you are now!

Go! Go! Go!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Andres Silva said...

Just to suppliment pokerwolf's comment some I agree, if you hit the mark move up. Sometimes the moves will come faster or slower. Don't be scared of a nice rush, conversely don't be to disappointed when it slows down.

Something else to keep in mind is that with limit poker you wind up in a lot of situations where you have pot odds to get involved from late position before the flop. There's nothing wrong with that as long as your still playing solid hands (you're not going to hit every flop, even with AK) and don't chase or keep calling a pot if you miss just because you have odds though. Your VPIP is actually about right for an average limit game where 35-45% of the players are seeing the flop. You're tighter than the table on average but not too tight that you're passing up hands that can be played reasonably on loose tables with enough money in the pot.

One last thought. This is a challenge, you haven't won anything except experience until your reach the end (final bankroll goal or bust out). The frame of mind you want to adopt is that there's nothing to protect because your goal is to just get bigger and bigger and if you stop in the middle of a winning session you're actually losing because that does not achieve your goal.

You started with $25. If you're that concerned about losing $25 then your head is in the wrong place for the challenge. So, lets try to put it in the right frame for you. $25 bucks is wandering through the store with the munchies. $25 is a bad night at the movies by yourself. $25 is the price of a book you would be done reading in a few days. $25 is the price of invaluable experience and opportunity to improve your poker play. Write the money off as gone already and what you're playing with is the ultimate in tournament chips. There's no limit to how many you can acquire and you win when you get to... that's a good point, you've haven't stated what your goal is. How can you know you've won if you don't draw a finish line to cross?

The point being, get out of your own head and keep playing some good poker.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online