My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Poker Challenge, 50 Outs and Golf

T minus one day and counting! I begin my Limit Challenge tomorrow on Poker Stars. I am starting with $25 and play the .25/.50 Limit tables. If I am able to build my bankroll to $50 then I move up a level. My ultimate goal is to move up into levels that I have never played or even thought of playing. If I bust my $25 then the challenge is over. If I move up a level and then lose my bankroll up to a certain amount, then I move back down to the previous level and start over at the lower level. If I lose my bankroll prior to getting to the next level then I will have to take a good look at my poker skills and evaluate where I am at this point of the game.

The challenge is designed to make me play at levels that I have not played at before. If I take a set amount of money that is just for the challenge and I know that it will not be the end of the world if I bust out then I will play at levels that have intimidated me in the past. This is designed to move me out of my comfort level and, hopefully, help me develop my game as I play at the higher stakes. It should be a learning experience in two ways,
  1. My poker playing skills should develop and get better
  2. My emotional state at playing higher levels and with better players should develop and get to the point where I am comfortable at the higher levels

I am going to begin at a single table and play really, really tight. I will playing only Sklansky’s top 3 level hands. I will be watching my position, my opponents, etc. I should have a pretty good idea of how things are going within a week. I just have to remember to be patient, very, very patient. Tight Aggressive is my new two word phrase. I need to be a TAG! I will try to put daily updates or, at the very least, every other day updates, on here. Wish me luck!
____________________________________________

On another note, my Blog friend Jan from 50 Outs busted out at the WSOP. He was on a very good roll when he lost the majority of his chips to a questionable play by his opponent. Jan had pocket Kings and was a 56% to 44% favorite to win when his opponent went against pot odds to go all in on a flush draw and rivered a spade to take 2/3rds of Jan’s chips. After that he took more chances than he normally wouldn't have only to have the Poker Gods slap him down and say, “Not today!” when a single flop didn’t go his way. He lasted well into the day on Day 1B but was unable to close it out. Here’s hoping he cleans up on the side games.

_______________________________________________
On the golf front I have had a couple of pretty good rounds the last two times out and, I can honestly say, they should have been even better. About one week ago my putter was on fire and it help get me a nice little 86. I was able to save par with a couple of miracle putts and even garnered two birdies, one on each nine, to help my score. Last time out my putter abandoned me for the front nine but came back in time to help me shoot an 84. I should have been even lower on both rounds but I miss a chip here or get a 3 putt there to cost me at least two and, often times, as many as 4 strokes per round from doing dumb things. Granted, I am better now than I use to be but there is so much room for improvement. My biggest contribution to shooting higher scores is penalty strokes. I will take as many as 3 penalty strokes per 18 holes. That is a terribly high number and, usually, I can not recover from them to garner a par or even a bogey but they instead lead to double bogeys. I need to cut down my penalty strokes and pay more attention to details when chipping and putting and this should get me shooting into the low 80’s.


How about Corey Pavin winning this week-end? It gives hope to everyone that can’t hit a golf ball 300 yards. There is still a lot to be said for ball striking, short game play, and putting to take down a tournament. Corey Pavin has 15 wins on the PGA Tour to put him up with such notable players as Ernie Els, Davis Love and Fred Couples. And this from someone that doesn’t stand over 5’ 8” tall but plays a mean game of golf. I hope he goes on to win another tournament this year and makes it on the Ryder Cup team. Let’s pair Tiger Woods with Corey Pavin for alternate shot.

1 Comments:

Blogger on_thg said...

Nice going on the golf -- you're right, working on the short game and avoiding the penalty strokes will definitely get you to where you want to be...

Good luck with the poker challenge!

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online