My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Poker Challenge Day 1

My Poker Challenge got off on the right foot today. I was dealt pocket 7’s in the first hand I got and they held up for a $1.90 win. I went on from there to win several good size pots and finished up $11.95, almost half way to the amount ($50) I need for moving up to the next level.
Here are my stats from Poker Stars:

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 42 hands and saw flop:
- 3 out of 3 times while in big blind (100%)
- 2 out of 5 times while in small blind (40%)
- 5 out of 34 times in other positions (14%)
- a total of 10 out of 42 (23%)
Pots won at showdown - 4 of 4 (100%)
Pots won without showdown – 2


The 23% was a little higher than I expected but I was getting good cards. In five hands I was dealt:
Ace/King
Ace/Ten
Ace/King
Ace/Ace
Jack/4
I won 3 of the 4 I played. I didn’t win on the A/10 hand as I don’t think I played it very well. Here is a abbreviated hand history of that hand:

Dealt to Hero [Th Ad] in the Big Blind
Villain: raises $0.25 to $0.50
Small Blind folds.
Hero: calls $0.25
*** FLOP *** [8h 8s 4h]
Hero: checks
Villain: bets $0.25
Hero: calls $0.25
*** TURN *** [8h 8s 4h] [Js]
Hero: checks
Villain: bets $0.50
Hero: folds
Villain collected $1.55 from pot
Villain: doesn't show hand

The Villain did raise preflop so I had him on Ace/King, Ace/Queen, Ace/Jack, King/Queen or big Pocket Pair. He had not played any hands that I was aware of at this time so I didn’t have any read on him. I was out of position and probably should have been more aggressive, playing out with a continuation bet instead of checking. This was the only hand I really didn’t like the way I played it.

It was easy to play and win with the cards I was getting. Early on I got Pocket Kings in the Big Blind. A couple limpers, I raise and get two callers. The flop has a beautiful King on it but it is all diamonds, which is a bit worrisome. I bet the flop and the turn and at this time I have just one opponent who I determine is looking for that 4th diamond. Fortunately for me it never comes and when I bet the river he folds. I take down $3.95. See abbreviated hand history:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Kc Ks]
Villain1: posts big blind $0.25
New Player: posts big blind $0.25 (new player taking a seat and posting blind)
Villain2: calls $0.25
Hero: raises $0.25 to $0.50
NPhard: folds
Villain1: calls $0.25
Villain2: calls $0.25
New Player: folds

*** FLOP *** [Jd Kd 2d]
Villain1: checks
Villain2: bets $0.25
Hero: raises $0.25 to $0.50
Villain1: calls $0.50
Villain2: folds

*** TURN *** [Jd Kd 2d] [5h]
Villain1: checks
Hero: bets $0.50
Villain1: calls $0.50

*** RIVER *** [Jd Kd 2d 5h] [Ah]
Villain1: checks
Hero: bets $0.50
Villain1: folds
Hero collected $3.95 from pot
Hero: doesn't show hand



Soon after I get pocket fives and I turn them into a set and I take down another pot. Win $2.75. It was another scary flop turning up all clubs but no club came up on the turn and everyone folded. One preflop raiser folded after seeing the flop and my raise. I would have just called on the flop and raised on the turn if the flop wasn’t scary and my set was solid but with 3 clubs on board, I wasn’t taking a chance of another one coming up and having a flush crack my set.

After that I got my rush of cards with A/K (twice), A/A, and A/10. I played about one hour which is what I told myself I was going to play, win or lose. I bought in for $10 of my $25 dollar bank roll and I figured one hour on the first day would be enough of a start. Some may say I was on a roll and to keep playing but I noticed that I began protecting my winnings and this was not a good way to play and I needed to stop and get out. I will give it another go Tuesday and see how things go. I like that I was patient and I liked the way that I played every hand except for the Ace/Ten. For the most part I was tight/aggressive and I need to continue in that mode for the duration of the challenge.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andres Silva said...

Always nice to start out well, keep it solid and stay patient. good luck.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online