My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Golf Update and some Poker Stuff

I am presently playing at River Belle Poker, a Prima site, and trying to clear 300 raked hands before they lock my account. I am finding out that all Prima Sites are locking the accounts of poker players that live in the 11 states that have banned on-line gambling and Michigan, my state, is one of them. I have 50 more hands to rake to get my Poker Savvy bonus so I need one more day.

I think I have found a leak in my Limit play. It seems like when I lose a hand in limit it is, more often than not, from a flush. I feel that I am either missing the fact that there is a flush on board ( a scary thought if I can't see 3 or more suited cards on the board) or, more realistically, I don't believe my opponent has the flush and will call his bet or raise. This usually occurs when it is a runner/runner flush.

Let me try to explain things better. I get into a hand with Ad/Qc and the flop is Ac, 4s, 7h. I bet and am called by one player. The turn is 8h. I bet and player calls. The river is Jh and I bet and the player raises. O.K., there will be a few times when I don't see the flush draw as I am multitabling and, even using 4 color decks, miss it. Those times are rare but I'm sure they happen. Usually, I don't believe he has the flush as this is the type of move I would make if I was holding nothing or second best hand, say pair of jacks, and I wanted to bluff that I had the flush and see if my opponent will fold. Oftentimes they do.

So I call.

Big mistake as they always have the flush. The reason I call is because of what I stated above and because Sklansky says in Small Stakes Hold’em: Winning With Expert Play, if you aren't positive you are beat then it is better to lose one bet than to lose the entire pot. I think I have been taking that philosophy too far. I am pretty sure I am beat most of the times and make the crying call. On Sunday and again today, I stopped making the crying call and, lo and behold, I had a winning session. I'm not saying that I won only because of this but I am keeping an eye on it to see if this holds up.

In the meantime, I am taking more and better notes on my opponents and trying to keep myself more into the game. That is probably contributing more to my having winning sessions than by not making that final bet to see if he really is holding the flush. However, I think there is a direct correlation between when I started watching for that leak in my game and my winning sessions. I am paying more attention. Period. And that, more than anything else, is probably why I have had winning sessions yesterday and today.
__________________________________________
I shot an 82 today at Briar Ridge. It was a nice round when the greens weren't at their best and the weather was a bit chilly and overcast. I even chipped one in for a birdie. And, still, it was so close to being an even better round. Two putts lipped out to stop me from shooting an 80. It was a nice day to play as there were only a dozen people on the entire course and we were able to walk 18 holes in around 3 hours. I thought it was going to be a round of about 90 as I started out with bogeys on the first couple of holes. I put together a couple of pars and a birdie and the round started looking better. Then I hit a stretch where I got 4 bogeys in a row and I again thought it was going to be just a so-so round, maybe an 86 or 88. Again, I got on a nice streak where I went par, par, birdie, par and that helped propel me to my final score of 82. A round I am quite happy with as I haven't played that much due to the weather here in Michigan. We had 1 inch of snow on the ground on Thursday and Friday.

We are planning to play again Wednesday and that may be my last round of golf for the year or clsoe to it. Next week Mrs. Wolverine and I are going on a five day cruise so I won't be playing any gold then and the week after that is November and the golfing days in Michigan get pretty scarce come November and into December.

1 Comments:

Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I dunno man.. I do not play Limit much anymore.. but with you betting the whole way and the pot being 4-5BBs.. how do you not make the call on the river? Is it better to lose the river value bet by checking it and then if he fires you lose 1 bet and not 2? If he has shit he probably checks behind or tries to bluff you and again you only lose 1 bet.. TPTK is one of the hardest hands to play in LHE in my opinion. As long as your not 3-betting him on the river I do not see where your making a mistake.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online