My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Which Instructions are right for you??

I have stated many previous times that Golf and Poker are my two passions. In many ways they are very similar and to become good at both Golf and Poker you have to travel a very similar path. The best way to improve your Golf game or Poker game is to get professional instruction, read as many articles and books on playing the game as you can and play, play, play. Again, this is true for both Golf and Poker.

I have been reading a lot of how-to articles at Card Player Magazine Online in an attempt to better my game. I used to read a lot of how-to articles in Golf Digest Magazine until I realized that every how-to article was not beneficial to my game. To the way I hit the ball. There are instructions on how to cure the slice, cure the hook, hit out of the sand, hit fairway woods, hit irons better, draw the ball, fade the ball, hit the lob, hit the bump and run, long putts, short putts, lag putts, uphill putts, downhill putts, tee the ball high, tee the ball low, etc. etc, etc.

Every piece of teaching material is valuable and designed to improve your game. However, not every article will help improve my game and, in fact, many will make your game worse depending on how you hit the ball and the type of player you are, equipment you use, course you play, etc. You have to be selective and decide if the instructions in this article are what you need to correct a part of your game.
I am wondering if that is not the same with the Poker instructions I am reading in my books and at Card Player Magazine Online. There are articles on pre-flop play, post flop play, playing big pocket pairs and little pocket pairs, playing Ace/King, playing overcards, check raises, raising preflop, raising the turn, raising the river, how to play Pocket Aces, playing suited connectors, bluffing, etc., etc., etc.

Every piece of teaching material is valuable and designed to improve your game. However, is this the same as the Golf instruction articles? Do you have to read the instruction and decide if this is right for your game? For the type of player you are? I think you have to answer yes to both. There are multiple ways to play a chip shot and multiple ways to play Big Slick. You have to decide which way is best for your game and which way is best for that time you are playing Big Slick or the chip shot. For example, I’m up against some rocks so I want to slow play Big Slick otherwise they will a11 fold if I raise preflop, or, I am in a really passive game and I know if I raise this I will get at least two other callers and that will make a better payoff if I flop an Ace or a King. I am just off the green so do I need to get my chip on the green and running to the hole or should I lob it back to the hole?
I think you have to read the article and then decide if it is something that will work for your game or if it is something to store in the memory banks for you to use it when a similar type of situation comes up. I don’t think you can go on blind faith that this is “the” way to play your hand or play your shot. You have to discern what is best for you and what is best at the time. Once you can do this you will be on your way to honing your game to its sharpest and you should see some definite improvement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online