My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Not Much New

Not much new to report. It has been several days since I have played any poker. The last time I played I dropped a buy-in at the Full Tilt $25 No Limit Texas Holdem tables. I had sat down for a long session of poker but Mrs. Wolverine put the kebosh on that when she told me she had different plans and they included me so I was unable to come back from my loss that day. I hope to sit down to a nice 2 or 3 hour session today and see if I can't make back that money and more.
I am drinking a new beer, to me. It is Sleeman Honey Brown Lager brewed by Sleeman Brewing Ltd of Guelph, Ontario in Canada. I really like it. I think it is a better tasting Honey Brown than J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown. (and I really like J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown)

Sleeman's describes their beer as:
A refreshingly smooth, full-bodied lager, with a subtle touch of all natural honey which creates a slightly sweet finish.

Beer Advocate gives it a so-so C+/B- rating and the reviews pretty much sum up the rating, a good but not great beer. Beerman Sez has this to say about it -
The Beerman first saw this HBL at a hotel near Toronto when it was being delivered to a friend's table. It was love at first-sight and first taste. This is crisper and not as heavy as Dundee's HBL. If you buy the Beerman a Sleeman Honey Brown you will make a new friend.

The price of this beer, on sale, is on par with J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown so I can see myself drinking more of this in the future.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

You know what would be fun to try is to actually do a blind side by side comparison of the JW Dundee's Honey Brown and the Sleeman Honey Brown. Have someone pour a little bit of each into two glasses and not tell you which one is which. Then side by side actually compare and see which you like best. That pic of the Sleeman's in the bottle looks very light colored for a brown ale.

I recently heard a podcast of Craft Beer Radio where they did a blind tasting of beers and tried to identify them - they had a very hard time. It's funny how prior impressions might skew how one rates a beer. Take away all of the labeling and sip a beer without knowing what it is and you tend to rank differently than if you knew what it was.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Now that you mention it - I will be trying some Michigan brews this weekend as I am heading to visit relatives in Michigan this week! They are in the SW corner of the state. Hope to find and try out some Bell's and other fine local brews. Hopefully can report on that next week.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online