My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Crashed and Burned

I hate to have to inform my loyal readers after the nice things said by Chipper and Minty in the comments section of my last post that I crashed and burned in my first attempt at 5 Card Draw. I knew there would be a learning curve but having the ego I do, I thought I would perform better. I went down in last place at a STT for 5 Card Draw.
In the immoratl words of General Douglas MacArthur, "I shall return." I will be sitting down and giving the game another chance here in the next day or so. Hopefully my learning curve will be steep and I will play much better than I did today.
_______________________
Keep your eye on this site for some breaking news in the next few days.

2 Comments:

Blogger junkbutton said...

Try the Limit cash game. That's where I had the success that I had. I believe all of the SNGs are pot limit (and the one that I played I crashed and burned myself - went out second, which paid the same as last). Like the article says, only come in for a raise with a good hand. Make the 4 to a straight or flush draws pay for their draw, scoop the pot when they miss, and don't draw to those yourself.

Goodluck.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

What minty said, stick initially to the limit game. Here is my philosophy on the game:

Here is my strategy for when to pay to see a flop in 5-card draw from the various staring positions (assuming a 6 player game):

UTG: Pair of Aces or better. Or a nut flush draw (4 to a suit) or an OESD.
UTG+1: Same as above only Pair of Kings or better.
CO: Same as above only Pair of Jacks or better.
Button: Pair of 10's or better. Any 4 card flush draw or OESD.
SB: complete with any pair of Aces or better or nut flush draw or OESD.
BB: If raised ahead, call with any pair of Aces or better or nut flush draw or OESD.

Raise to isolate a single limper ahead of you. Always raise with 2 pair or better, especially if one of the pair is Kings or Aces.

Use the occasional "Stand Pat" bluff if you are last to bet after the draw. You can steal a pot if timed correctly and don't use it that often. Of course, you get dealt a straight or better every so often and always stand pat with that. Sometimes it's best to disguse trips by only drawing 1 card to make them think you are on a draw.

After the draw, tend NOT to bet out first unless you have two pair or better and that one pair being Aces. Trips are common winners in this game. Always bet out with trips or better, or if you are in early position and player after you showed aggressive pre-draw, then go for the check raise.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online