My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Prairie Creek - my new Golf Home

I became a member of Prairie Creek Golf Course lockated right inside the Dewitt, Michigan city limits. Dewitt is located just north of Lansing. Prairie Creek met all of my criteria for becoming a member.

1. It is pretty close to my home

2. It is a challenging course

3. The price was right
There are a couple things that Prairie Creek has over my old golf course, Briar Ridge in Montrose. Prairie Creek has greens that have a lot more break and character than the Briar Ridge greens. And Prairie Creek has a lot of hills so there is a lot of elevation changes on the different holes. Briar Ridge is as flat as a pancake.

I've played the back nine twice at Prairie Creek and today I played the entire course. I am not keeping score yet as I am just using these as practice rounds to help get my game in shape and to learn the course. The greens are a bit dimply still from being aerated late last fall. I figure in about a week they will be pretty smooth and I will start keeping track of my scores to establish a handicap at this course.

Here's a break down of the Front 9.

Hole Number 1 - 458 Yard Par 5
Straight away shortish par 5 with trees lining both sides of the fairway. Must hit the ball straight here or you will be chipping back out to the fairway. Last 150 yards is up hill.

Hole Number 2 - 313 Yard Par 4
Short par 4 with a sharp dogleg right that offers high risk/reward if you attempt to cut the corner of the dogleg. A good drive has to clear a fairway bunker and some trees to set you up for short approach shot. Narrow, smallish green.

Hole Number 3 - 155 Yard Par 3
Elevated tee looking down on a very small circular green. Water protects the front so you have to carry the ball almost all the way to the green.

Hole Number 4 - 337 Yard Par 4
This hole is a slight dogleg left with a row of towering Elms making it almost impossible to cut the corner of the dogleg. The right side is guarded by another row of trees. Unless you can drive it straight or with a draw, you are hitting anywhere from a 7 wood to a 3 wood here. Green is nice size guarded by bunkers right and left.

Hole Number 5 - 122 Yard Par 3
Very Short Par 3 with a humongous green. Should be no problem to land this green but you need to be a good putter because this green is so big you could be 20 yards from the hole but on the green. Large bunker guards the front.

Hole Number 6 - 402 Yard Par 4
Very tough driving hole with out of bounds on the right and water on the left. Second shot is into a decent size green with a bunker guarding the right side. One of the toughest holes on the course because of difficult fairway to hit.

Hole Number 7 - 451 Yard Par 5
Another short par 5 but unless you can hit your driver 250 yards consitantly you will have to lay up with your 4 iron or 7 wood as there is water on right and left at the 200 yard mark with just a narrow isthmus to transverse. The long hitters will be rewarded with a mid-iron to the green but unless you can carry 240 yards or so (accurately) you will be laying up short of the water off of the tee.

Hole Number 8 - 300 Yard par 4
One of the easiest holes on the course. A good drive should set you up for a birdie chance every time. Green is good size, being longer than wide.

Hole Number 9 - 411 Yard Par 4
Another tough driving hole with narrow fairway guarded by trees on right and left. Hole plays uphill from tee to green and plays longer than its 411 yards because of this. A good tee shot will still leave a mid to long iron to the green.

I'll describe the back nine tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for the heads on on the BritBlogger tourney. Not sure if I can make it but if I'm available I'll check it out. I played in a Euro vs US challenge about a year ago - this is a logical follow-up to that I believe.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Rod said...

So - becoming a member, how much did that cost and what does it mean.

I was going to join Kestel Ridge since we're building ON the 16th fairway but I'm not sure I want to lock myself into one course for a summer.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online