My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Grossly Over-Betting Syndrome or GOBS for short

Chipper recently had an interesting article about the new style we are seeing in MTTs and SitNgos that he has called "GOBS" for Grossly Over-Betting Syndrome. In short, players going all in without trying to build a pot. Just, Boom!, all in immediately. This 'strategy' allows for just a couple of outcomes, taking the blinds, doubling up or busting out.

Chipper of Chipper's Poker World explains it much better than I have but I have a great example of this.

I was in a low buy in 2-table SitNGo on Poker Stars (18 players) when on the sixth hand of the tournament, this happened. (I play as lzfsb3)

Dealt to lzfsb3 [Kh Kc]
Villain 1: raises 1490 to 1510 and is all-in
Villain 2: calls 1480 and is all-in
Villain 3: folds
Villain 4: calls 1410 and is all-in
lzfsb3: calls 1470 and is all-in
Villain 5: folds
Villain 6: folds
Villain 7: folds
*** FLOP *** [6c 8d 2h]***
TURN *** [6c 8d 2h] [5c]
*** RIVER *** [6c 8d 2h 5c] [7h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Villain 1: shows [Tc Ts] (a pair of Tens)
villain 2: shows [3d Ad] (high card Ace)
villain 1 collected 20 from side pot-2
lzfsb3: shows [Kh Kc] (a pair of Kings)
lzfsb3 collected 180 from side pot-1
Villain 4: shows [8h As] (a pair of Eights)
lzfsb3 collected 5670 from main pot

This hand quadrupled me up and gave me the chip lead. I went on to win the SitNGo from there. 2 players were willing to gamble with drawing hands, and not very good ones at that.
At least one was suited so had a chance for a flush.

I played another SitNGo on Full Tilt that I was fortunate enough to win with only one suck out of a hand. I was really lucky with the following hand and that break allowed me to win the Single Table Tournament. We were down to the final 3 players, and I was second in chips, so I was already in the money when I was dealt this hand.

Seat 1: lzfsb3 (3,390)
Seat 4: sugarolls (7,160)
Seat 6: joblessnow (2,950)
lzfsb3 posts the small blind of 80
sugarolls posts the big blind of 160
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to lzfsb3 [8c 8s]
joblessnow folds
lzfsb3 raises to 320
sugarolls raises to 7,160, and is all in (He had just won a big pot with Pocket Jacks. I thought he was bluffing, trying to use his big stack to steal the blinds)
lzfsb3 has 15 seconds left to act (you can see it took me quite a while to decide to call)
lzfsb3 calls 3,070, and is all in
sugarolls shows [Jd Jh] (back to back Pocket Jacks. I thought he Had A/K, A/Q or similar hand)
lzfsb3 shows [8c 8s]
Uncalled bet of 3,770 returned to sugarolls
*** FLOP *** [6h 9d 9s] (thought I was gone now but flop gives me hope for straight)
*** TURN *** [6h 9d 9s] [3s] (now my straight draw is gone)
*** RIVER *** [6h 9d 9s 3s] [8d] (The miracle card appears)
sugarolls shows two pair, Jacks and Nines
lzfsb3 shows a full house, Eights full of Nines
lzfsb3 wins the pot (6,780) with a full house, Eights full of Nines

Sugarrolls still had $3770 so he wasn't totally crippled but I really did suck out on him. I did not put him on a pocket pair at all. In fact, he came back to become the chip leader once again before he lost a couple of hands and I took him out with a pair of nines when his A/Q didn't pair.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for the shout out. GOBS is best used when you are fairly sure your opponent doesn't have a big pair and you either have a decent pair or a good backup hand that could get a straight and/or a flush. But generally it can be used either pre-flop or on the flop. What for players who use it as they will tend to use it often. Set traps well for these players.

7:56 PM  
Blogger jjok said...

Interesting....I read that from chipper too. I'm finding alot more loose calls from folks too because of this too. And that's frustrating.

BTW, on the second history. Did you consider a fold? You minraise with 88 and a guy pushes. Too me, that's more than likely a fold based on % of holdings. Coin flip or domination. And with the blinds still being decently low.....still lots of room to wiggle some.

take care man.

11:16 PM  
Blogger jjok said...

btw, I'm grammatically challenged tonight.......

11:17 PM  
Blogger Wolverine Fan said...

Thanks for stopping by JJOK. I should have folded but he had just won a big pot with Pocket Jacks and I thought he was going for a steal. I was already in the money and needed some more chips to get ahead so I called. I agonized through most of my time allotment before calling.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online