My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Variance vs Bad Beats vs. Donkey Play

A couple of posts ago I reported that variance had reared it ugly head and I had a losing session that day. Variance, to me, is when you get dealt good hands like A/Q, A/K, J/J, Q/Q, etc. but when the flop/turn/river are all done you don't hit your overcards or your high pocket pairs don't hold up. That is what I term variance and it will always be around in poker.

A bad beat happens when you get pocket aces and you raise/reraise and re-reraise, hit your Ace on the flop for a set only to have that one opponent who is calling all of your raises and reraises with pocket 2s or with 3/6 unsuited and they hit the wheel to crack your aces with a straight. That's a bad beat. A lot of times the bad beat isn't much different from a Donkey Play.

A Donkey type play is when you raise and/or reraise and have top pair/top kicker or a set and your opponent calls all the way to the river to turn his 3/6 suited hand into a flush. That's the type of play a donkey makes and you hope he keeps playing that way as he won't always hit that flush and you will win a lot of money.

I have run into all three of these in the last week. Today it was a few Donkey Plays but I was able to overcome them and turn a small profit in my 7 Sultans Challenge. I played .10/.20 Limit Texas Holdem today and, while up over $2 dollars at one point, cashed out up over a dollar to start my way back from Monday's losing session.
_____________________________
I restarted my Limit Challenge today on Bodog Poker. I am going through Poker Source Online for their 900 Bonus Points at Bodog Poker. I have to generate 200 Bodog points (I am given 50 Bodog points just for joining so I only need 150 more). You get Bodog points for raked hands. I started my Limit Challenge there at the .25/.50 Limit Texas Holdem tables and will move up. I turn a small profit of $6 today and garnered just 3 Bodog points. I will move up in limits as I hit certain dollar marks. The next one will be $25 so, with Bodog bonus, I just have $9 to go before I move up to .50/$1 Limit Holdem table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online