My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Playing Overcards

This is the type of hand I have been having trouble with so, as is my want, I am trying to learn more about it so I can do a better job of playing against it.
PokerListings.com has a good article on playing overcards on the flop. They state the following:
[sic]most beginners would do better if they always folded their overcards.
Most importantly, you must realize that, at best, you have 6 outs to improve your hand after the flop. This translates into approximately 7-to-1 against improving on the turn (12.8%), and you are drawing to one pair.

Essentially, you need very good pot-odds to draw and, in addition, there must be other circumstances existing in your favor. This is due to a number of factors:
  1. Against sets, two pairs, or overpairs, you are basically drawing dead.
  2. One of your outs may complete an opponent's flush or straight draw.
  3. One of your outs may give an opponent a two-pair; this is especially true when one of your overcards is an ace. More players will play and stay in the pot when they hold an ace as their side-card.
  4. One of your outs may give an opponent the same pair but with a better kicker than yours.
  5. One of your outs may give an opponent a set.
  6. One of your outs may give an opponent a straight or flush draw, which ends up outdrawing you on the river.

On those occasions when you choose to draw, you must be fairly certain that you are drawing to the best hand and that the pot justifies calling a bet. The situation must be almost perfect for both of these criteria to be met and, as a result, it does not happen often.

The following are important factors to be taken into consideration (when you are considering drawing):

  1. The best flops for overcards are rainbow flops of all rags, like 8-5-2, 9-7-3, 7-3-2, and the like.
  2. Dangerous flops are connected flops, suited flops, flops containing a high pair, and flops consisting entirely of high cards. Unless you do not have a great draw yourself to go with your overcards, you should not play.
  3. You want to be up against few opponents as this decrease the chances of drawing dead, or to second-best hands.
  4. Holding back-door flush or straight potential will slightly increase your odds and can give you a chance of winning the pot on the turn with a semi-bluff, in case you pick up a strong draw.
  5. The pot should be large, though this is seldom true in pots with few opponents (see Number 3).
Basically I have been going about this all wrong in that I always will call the flop bet to see the turn as I feel that if one of my overcards hits on the turn I can take down the pot. I can see now that this is -EV and I have been leaking a lot of money by making that bet. I will study up on this some more and maybe post some more hand histories for help from my fellow bloggers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online