My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Low Limit Holdem and Surviving Hell Day!!

I survived Hell Day (6/6/6). I started playing around with Limit Holdem on Absolute this week as I am going to change from playing my SitNGos to Limit Holdem. I have not played Limit Holdem for well over 6 months so I am just taking baby steps so far to see how it goes. I have played a total of about 1 hour in the last two days and have made a nice little profit of over $3 dollars. Laugh, will you, but that is as good as I could do on a $1.20 SitNGo, finishing in first place. So far I am having fun with the Limit Holdem. I am playing 6 Max games as Absolute does not get any players at the Low Limit Holdem games for a full 9 person table. Nobody plays a full table game until you get up to $2/$1 games or so. I am not quite ready for that yet. Probably in July I will be moving up to those tables and trying to win my $10 a day. My bankroll can support it but my emotional state and the state of my game right now is not ready for that commitment yet. Soon though. So for the next little while I am going to play No Limit MTTs and Limit Holdem ring games. This week-end will be the biggie as I will be able to play for several hours and will find out how good I am. I am reading Miller and Sklansky’s book Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play and am really impressed with it. What an excellent book. I hope to have read and reread it within the next couple of weeks so it will help me prepare for my move up in limits in July.

Golf Rained Out
An excellent round of golf was rained out today. I was two under after 3 holes, even par after 6 holes and finished at 3 over for the back nine at Briar Ridge. Two double bogey holes did me in. One was a penalty stroke for a lost ball I hit into the woods and the other was when my approach shot went into the greenside bunker and I had a bad up and down, taking 4 strokes to finish the hole. It was raining steadily the entire time we played so we called it quits after nine holes. I’ll give it a try again on Friday. My putting was the difference. I made two nice birdie putts after having two very nice approach shots to get within 10 feet of the hole. I also made three very nice putts of around 10 feet to preserve par. Hopefully this is just a precursor of things to come with my putting. I am putting with a lot more confidence than I have had in a long time and that is making a world of difference in my game. I only had one bad lag putt that led to my only bogey and, even then, I almost holed out the 8 footer for par. It was a left to right breaker that I just didn’t get quite high enough and missed it on the low side. I have 3 more rounds to put into the PGA Tour website score tracker before I will know if I have lowered my handicap from 12 to 11. It has to be pretty close.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pokerwolf said...

I started playing Limit HE at the .02/.04 6-max tables at Absolute. It's a good way to learn about aggression and picking your spots.

I will say, however, that I'm learning A LOT more by playing over on PokerStars in full ring games.

In 6-max, a decent amount of the time, the more aggressive person wins. You'll run into a large number of people who will simply raise with any two cards and try to run you over by raising or re-raising you on every street, usually with nothing.

Once you get a decent handle on your playing style for Limit HE, I would advise trying a Limit Challenge, since it only uses a set amount of money and you can play at higher limits faster which does two things:

1. It helps you find leaks in your game faster.

2. It shows you that you can play at a higher limit.

Trust me, I was planning on playing .02/.04 at PokerStars, but now that I'm doing my Limit Challenge at .25/.50 I know I can handle that game as long as my bankroll can handle the inevitable swings. If you want, drop me an email and I'll help you figure out a ladder for your challenge. We can even start at .02/.04 if you want. =)

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online