My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My SitNGos are now SitN-Gones

My SitNGos have got up and left
I am almost an 0-fer in my last dozen SitNGos. I have an In-the-Money rate of 2 out of the last 12 for less than 20%. What really worries me is I am not sure what is wrong with my game or if this is just variance rearing its ugly head again. My daughter says I need to step away and not play for a while and that may very well be the best advice I can get. I did finish 3rd out of 27 players in a WSOP Qualifier Tournament so I must be doing something right in my play. I have noticed that I am not getting the breaks to go my way like when I put my Ace/King up against another player's King/Jack and he got his Jack on the turn. If the Jack doesn't come up then I am in the money. I realize I am a pretty good favorite in that hand but it was not to be today. I feel that I am playing tighter than ever and even suggested to my daughter that I am playing too tight as I am finishing in 4th and 5th places (out of the money) and usually because I am short stacked and the blinds are starting to put me into jeopardy and I have to go all in with less than the best hands. Maybe I need to be more aggressive and try to build my chipstack up early and then tighten up. I think I am going to step away from the game for the next couple of days and when I do come back try to not just call but raise any hand I play (except possibly for the Big Blind) and reraise any calls I get and see if I can shake some things up. I am rereading Phil Gordon’s Little Green Book of Poker so I think I will take the time I would normally be playing poker and use it for reading. Then I can get back into the game this week-end where I will probably play some MTTs on Saturday and Sunday night as well as a few SitNGos. I’ll let you know how things go with my plan.

Even God has to practice his putting. ~Golf Saying
My golf game is coming around really nicely as my poker game heads south. Maybe there is a correlation. The biggest improvement in my game is my putting, thus the above quote. I changed my entire style of putting and am practicing it more than I have ever done in the past and it is paying. I used to dread 3 and 4 footers and now I am knocking them in center cut with little worry about a miss. I started putting the ball way up front in my stance and put all of my weight on my left foot when I putt. On the short putts I am not looking at the ball rolling at all but am holding my head rock still and looking at the ground where the ball was and listening for it dropping into the cup. Almost every time I hear that beautiful sound the ball makes as it drops into the cup. I have had a couple of misses but nothing like I used to just a scant two weeks ago. And I know that as my confidence grows the misses will become less and less. I still study Dave Pelz putting techniques and putting tips and feel they are very, very valuable.

My driver is booming and my irons are long and fairly accurate. I just have to work on my chips using my Sand Wedge and a new 60 degree Lob Wedge. The course I am a member at, Briar Ridge Golf Course has two nice practice chipping greens that I can take advantage of this week-end and get the feel down with the new lob wedge. I think my scores will reflect the new equipment plus extra practice on chips and putts. I am hoping to move from the mid-80’s for 18 holes down to around 80 for 18 holes. That would be an achievement of about 5 strokes per round which is a major improvement if I am able to do it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Hey, Wolvie. =)

I'm doing my Limit Challenge on Pokerstars. Not only do they have low limits for all of their ring games, they have $.10 MTTs and low limit SNGs. It's the perfect place for me to play. Probably will be for you too.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online