My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

I play my poker at Full Tilt, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker as LZFSB3. I golf at Prairie Creek Golf Course and carry an 11 handicap.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Does the Size of the Bankroll Effect Performance?

Does the Size of the Bankroll Effect Performance?
No poker for two days and maybe three. Family and work obligations have cut into my poker playing time. I hope to play a SitNGo or two tonight. Going to move up to the $2.40 game and see how effective I am.

I know my title is a play on words but here is what I am facing. I started playing on Absolute Poker with a $200 deposit with chance to double it via 100% promotion. I have had it as high as $150 and as low as $8 in the last five months. Right now it stands at $125. This is my poker bankroll at this time. Can I add to it?? Yes, but not without subtracting from another area, i.e. taking my golf membership money and applying it to poker. Will I do that? Maybe. I would only do it knowing that I had the potential of really growing my bankroll because I could play in ring games, MTT’s, or SitNGos with higher buy-ins and, thus, the chance to earn higher payouts. Conversely, I realize that my golfing days may be over if I lose my higher bankroll. Right now my goal is to play with my bankroll as it stands and attempt to grow it via good, strong play and then as my bankroll grows, move up in games. I am already at the point where I have graduated from 60 cent and $1.20 SitNGos to $2.40 and have moved up from .05/.10 ring games to .25/.50 games. If my bankroll starts to take a hit I will just move back down and try to rebuild it.

I have a friend at work that is always asking me about my poker playing and her asked the questions, “Does your bankroll effect your play?” I told him that I try not to let it effect my play but to be totally honest, yes, it does. In my mind, that is the wrong answer. I should be playing good solid poker, whether on a .60 cent SitNGo or a $100 dollar SitNGo. I should be bringing my best game no matter the buy-in. Do I do that every time? Probably no, but I sure try to. I do find myself in the late stages of a SitNGo playing not to lose instead of playing to win. I will get really, really tight in an attempt to make the final three and get into the money. I should be just as aggressive and trying to take down the pot and if I lose to a better hand, so be it, but if I am playing good, strong, aggressive poker, I should come out ahead in the majority of those situations and get into the money with a bigger bankroll to give me a better chance at winning instead of just making it into the money.

I’ll keep you updated on how I am doing with my bankroll and how my game is progressing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online